Ideas for PDP

Ideas for Pre, During and Post viewing activities Watching movies or video in general, should not be an end in itself but rather a means to an end ; a tool to make the teaching of English more effective. The teacher wishing to implement the use of video in her class should have a repertoire of activities at hand so that the viewing is more meaningful. Here’s a list of ideas for activities before, during and after watching a movie or video clip. I hope you can share your ideas with us! Pre- viewing activites: These are extremely important as they prepare students for the lesson. Building schema: ask questions that would lead to the topic Provide Vocabulary Lead in Questions Brainstorming Prediction: what the video is going to be about from its title, or have them talk about or write about their knowledge of the topic. During Graded tasks Filling in blanks Discussing Script with mistakes for sts to notice what’s different Bingo for word recognition (1st watching, concentrating mainly on audio input) Dictation ( students hear the dialogue and write down what they hear) Post- viewing activities These are also very important as they give teachers the chance to follow up on the students’ learning. Use the video input for speaking, writing Write reports, summaries, opinions, stories Further reading Roleplaying Make a poster Film Oral presentations Who said what, to whom, when, where and why? 20 questions about an object or a character. YES-NO questions

Friday, January 26, 2007

13 comments:

Barbara said...

This is a very interesting blog. I liked it very much. I'm a new blogger, you can visit my blog and leave a comment.
Hugs,

Barbara

An said...

Wow! I like your blog, Mónica.
I agree with you on the idea that movie are a good way of learning English.
I'm struggling with my blog too and still don't know how to add links to it.
Go ahead!
Kisses, An

Gladys Baya said...

Great idea for a blog, Monica! You've mentioned so much in this first entry we could spend a whole year discussing it... :-P!

I'll subscribe, and hopefully can get my Methods students to comment and perhaps even send you some idea during the Argentinian school year...
Hope you like that!

Keep in touch,
Gladys

Nina Lyulkun said...

Hi Monica,

Your blog is rather instructive and useful for teachers and students. I like the idea very much. I rarely use movies in classes with students, but after reading your posting in your blog I'll definitely try it. I will come back to your blog again soon.
Stop by my blog if you like to take a look at it.
The best,
Nina Lyulkun

Nina Liakos said...

I like this blog, Monica! I was intrigued by the World's Largest Vending Machine video embedded in the sidebar (how did you do that?). How do you use this clip in your class?
Nina (MD)

Sonia Triana Echeverría said...

Hi Monica
What a fantastic blog! I love movies and use them in class, especially movie trailers.
Stop by my blog and give me your comment.
See you
Sonia

Monica Aparicio said...

Thanks for all your comments. Actually I'm not sure about the blog netiquette and whether I should answer here or personally.
Anyway, here goes the answer to Nina's question. How did you upload the video clip?
I went to www.youtube.com
I selected a clip. There's a box on the right of the clip that says EMBED. I copy that and then I come to my blog and paste that in the part that says add a new element, select HTML/ Javascript and there you paste what you copied before. HOpe it works! :)
Now for the second question.
How would I use this video clip in class. As a springboard for a discussion on vending machines. Use of superlatives.
Also, students working in pairs sitting back to back, the one looking at the screen would describe what he sees in the clip to the student sitting back to him.
That's it. Monica

Mary said...

Hello, Monica, and thanks for the great ideas. I haven't used movies for some time, but our university language dept. just bought a new TV and when it is connected to our DVD player, I certainly will start again, with your help.
Sincerely,
Mary in Budapest

Erika Cruvinel said...

Hi Monica
I guess everyone is in love with your blog! Maybe because it is a very hot topic and you know how to explore it!
Just a hint: maybe you could include the code to the video inside a new post and not in the sidebar!
Warmly
Erika

Maria Claudia Bellusci said...

Hi Monica!
I think your students will love working with movies. I see you are an experienced "movie teacher" and we will all learn a lot about using films in the classroom. First I'd like to see all the films you've chosen as your favourites. I think I've only seen Erin Brockovich and I loved it.
One of the pre-activities I think is fun to do, is to play part of the film with no sound and ask the students to guess what the actors are saying.
As for the layout of your blog, it seems you've been playing a lot with it and that shows you're venturous and creative. You'll most probably enjoy Week 5.
Hugs,
Claudia

Mary said...

This is a neat blog- I liked your poll- I will share this site with our Intro to Film techers and our ESOL teachers- fun stuff.

Berta said...

Hi Monica, you managed to post the video in the sidebar, something more difficult to do than if placed in a post entry, wow! from difficult to easier. If you want, get the html code to embed and create a new post entry to place it, paste it using the html window in the post (not compose or preview) that way you can have participants reactions to the video through the comments. Is that what you wanted originally?

I hope it works,
Cheers, Berta

_Alicia Zuliani said...

Hi Monica, very interesting topic for a blog. I love using movies and clips in class. I'll come back to your blog and see if I can 'borrow' some ideas.
Alicia (from Rosario, Argentina)

My favorite movies

  • Something's gotta give
  • Erin Brockovich
  • I am Sam
  • Mona Lisa Smile